Monday, October 29, 2012

Review- Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz

Goodreads Summary:

In the wake of the post-9/11 sniper shootings, fragile love finds a stronghold in this intense, romantic novel from the author of Break and Invincible Summer.

It's a year after 9/11. Sniper shootings throughout the D.C. area have everyone on edge and trying to make sense of these random acts of violence. Meanwhile, Craig and Lio are just trying to make sense of their lives.

Craig’s crushing on quiet, distant Lio, and preoccupied with what it meant when Lio kissed him...and if he’ll do it again...and if kissing Lio will help him finally get over his ex-boyfriend, Cody.

Lio feels most alive when he's with Craig. He forgets about his broken family, his dead brother, and the messed up world. But being with Craig means being vulnerable...and Lio will have to decide whether love is worth the risk.

This intense, romantic novel from the author of Break and Invincible Summer is a poignant look at what it is to feel needed, connected, and alive.


Gone, Gone, Gone was my last and final read for the LGBT Reading Event being hosted by Adam @ Roof Beam Reader. I feel proud to say that I read all the books that I'd planned to read for the Event. I know I've said this a million times already, but thank you again, Adam for hosting the Event! :)



I've realized how much I like reading these books, and I am inclined on further exploring the LGBT genre! 

REVIEW:

This is the first time that I've had to write two reviews for a book. I wasn't happy with the initial review that I wrote, plus I had so many thoughts about Gone, Gone, Gone that I missed in the original one, which is why I had to rewrite it. 
I had high expectations from Gone, Gone, Gone and I was super excited about reading it. 
When I started the book, I found it very hard to keep going on with it. But once I was thrown smack in the middle of it, it became un-put-downable and I read almost 75% of the novel in one sitting. I wanted to love it. I really did. It isn't that the book didn't meet my high expectations, it's just that it wasn't as powerful and impacting as I thought it'd be. That does not mean that I didn't like the book, because honestly, I really liked it and it was a really really good book. 
Most stories revolving around 9/11 are very moving and emotional. I expected Gone, Gone, Gone to be more emotionally empowering, but it didn't go there with me. It is more of an eye-opener and puts the facts out straight. It is about the statistical and practical scenario after the devastating attack on US in 2000.  
Craig is heart-broken and torn between waiting for his ex-boyfriend Cody or just moving on. He has this crazy obsession with animals and has so many of them as pets, until one day, after a burglary in his house, his pets free themselves and he goes out to find them one by one. It was beautiful reading about his attachment with these animals and the cute names he gave them. I loved Craig's family, which was close-knit.
Lio was my favourite character. He's the tortured hero here. There are so many things going on with him that makes you feel bad for him. His mom leaves their family, his twin brother, Theodore dies and his family is literally all over the place. I loved his relationship with his dad and he was an amazing brother to all his sisters. His point of view was simply astounding and I was so happy to see that the book ended with Lio's POV. 
There were many secondary characters in Gone, Gone, Gone who really shined in the book and gave it a strong base.  
I loved the two fifteen year old protagonists, Craig and Lio. They seemed very mature for their age, but I suppose that being witness to acts of terrorism makes you grow faster, emotionally and mentally. They were mature, complex and very likable  The emails and IMs between Craig and Lio were absolutely crazy and it made me think if fifteen year olds write that way, but oh well... it was good reading it and that's what matters. I really liked the fact they were sure and open about their sexual orientation and how easy their relationship seemed when it was actually pretty messed up. I think this is where author Hannah Moskowitz deserves a huge round of applause for putting raw emotions and thoughts just the way they are, without any filtration. Craig and Lio share an amazing relationship and it was wonderful reading about it. I loved how they met, got to know each other, shared their deepest secrets, strived towards making their relationship work and how they were just together.
Hannah Moskowitz has written a fast paced and action packed book with great emotion, power, love and friendship and that's what makes Gone, Gone, Gone a really good read. 

RATING:

X 3.5

Sarika

10 comments:

  1. hi Sarika! you really enjoyed the book so much and it showed in your review. great job and i think i would have to add this to my TBR! thank you too for stopping by my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words about my review! I hope you get to read Gone, Gone, Gone soon. :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely review :) This is a book that I really need to get to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Jessica! I'm so glad to hear that you like my review and are looking forward to the book. Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  3. Loved your honest review. I think this cover is very intriguing. It sounds like it is a good book.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jess! As usual, your nice words about my review mean a lot. :)

      Delete
  4. I love how your enthusiasm for the book shined through in the review. I'm not sure I'd actually be able to deal with such an emotional book, but you did a great job selling its strong points :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Claudia and for your sweet words about my review! :) Happy reading!

      Delete
  5. Great review! I've heard of this one, but had no idea there was LGBT content. Sounds like an interesting post-9/11 novel, which isn't usually my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gone, Gone, Gone has LGBT content and is based on the post-9/11 scenario, it was a first of it's kind book for me as well. Thanks for stopping by, Liviania! :)

      Delete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!