Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Teaser Tuesday #8



Teaser Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by Miz B of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


I am currently reading Kathleen Winter's Annabel as part of the LGBT Reading Event being hosted by Adam @ Roof Beam Reader


There are so many staggering lines in Annabel, but I've picked something that I feel is truly magnificient. 

Here's my teaser:
But was there a place where she could live with truth instead of lies? Truth and Consequences was another TV show. She could relate to that title. You told the truth or you lived with consequences like these. If you held back truth you couldn't win. You swallowed truth and it went sour in your belly and poisoned you slowly. 
-Annabel by Kathleen Winter 

Goodreads Summary:
Kathleen Winter’s luminous debut novel is a deeply affecting portrait of life in an enchanting seaside town and the trials of growing up unique in a restrictive environment. 

In 1968, into the devastating, spare atmosphere of the remote coastal town of Labrador, Canada, a child is born: a baby who appears to be neither fully boy nor fully girl, but both at once. Only three people are privy to the secret: the baby’s parents, Jacinta and Treadway, and a trusted neighbor and midwife, Thomasina. Though Treadway makes the difficult decision to raise the child as a boy named Wayne, the women continue to quietly nurture the boy’s female side. And as Wayne grows into adulthood within the hyper-masculine hunting society of his father, his shadow-self, a girl he thinks of as "Annabel," is never entirely extinguished.

Kathleen Winter has crafted a literary gem about the urge to unveil mysterious truth in a culture that shuns contradiction, and the body’s insistence on coming home. A daringly unusual debut full of unforgettable beauty, Annabel introduces a remarkable new voice to American readers.

So far, I am loving Annabel. It is simply astounding! 
What's your Teaser Tuesday? :) 


17 comments:

  1. What's that old saying? The truth will set you free! Thanks for coming by Alli's World!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't exactly remember the saying either, but agree that truth does set you free. Thanks for stopping by, Alli! :)

      Delete
  2. That's a great teaser and very wise words! Glad you are support the LGBT group :D

    My TT.
    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just doing my bit to help spread awareness. Plus, you get to read more and different books! Thanks for stopping by, Vonnie! :)

      Delete
  3. I cannot wait to read this one! It's been on my radar since pre-publication, but I just haven't found the time, yet. And I don't own it, either.. which is a problem. LoL

    Glad you're enjoying it & thanks for participating in The Literary Others event!! My first read (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) was a re-read, but this was the first time I reviewed it and the first time I read it from a "queer" perspective. I'm also nearly finished with my second read (The Swimming Pool Library), which I'm definitely enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Adam!
      I've been reading all your posts and reviews for the LGBT Reading Event, but for some odd reason that I can't seem to figure out, my comments just don't get published on Wordpress. :/
      Anyways, good to know you're enjoying your reads as well.
      Also, you should definitely read Annabel as and when you can! I think you'll like it too. :)
      Happy reading and thank YOU for hosting such a great event!

      Delete
  4. Excellent teaser, Sarika! Thanks for visiting me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fantastic story. I can't wait to read it.
    Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great teaser! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great teaser! I've only started getting around to award-winning and award finalist novels and sadly I am very behind when it comes to the Giller awards. I have seen this book in the bookstores so maybe I'll check it out one of these days xD

    Thanks for dropping by my blog yesterday! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear that you are reading award-winning novels! I like that idea. Maybe I should do that too sometime, and yes, Annabel is worth checking out! Thanks for stopping by, Li! :)

      Delete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!