Saturday, March 16, 2013

Review- The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Goodreads Summary:

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.



REVIEW:

To say that The Fault In Our Stars made me think would be an understatement. It made me contemplate about life and death and everything in between. I had previously read stories about cancer patients in the various Chicken Soup For The Teenage Soul editions. I knew what to expect from John Green's The Fault In Our Stars. I knew it would be a bittersweet tale. The book is an outstanding work of fiction and deserves all the five glorious, shinning stars that readers have generously bestowed upon it. John Green, the nerdfighter, is, in the truest sense of the term, a rockstar. 
The Fault In Our Stars is the lovely story of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters, two cancer patients who build an unforgettable forever in the little time that they have left. Both Hazel and Gus were magical. There was something so simple about them, it was very easy to connect to them both. They are the kind of characters who find a way into your heart and you know that they will remain there for a very long time. I loved the conversations between the two. Their discussions and arguments were super intelligent and super cool. The two made for an adorable and awe-inspiring couple. Reading about Hazel and Gus was both bitter and sweet. They are selflessly devoted to each other. Gus was totally swoon-worthy, a complete stunner and a sweetheart  and Hazel was such a lovely person. 
The book is from Hazel's point of view, which was clean, simple and absolutely absorbing. An ardent fan of Peter Van Houten's An Imperial Affliction (which isn't a real book, though I hope it was), Hazel gets Gus into the book and there begins their journey of discovery, love and life.  
Both Hazel's and Gus' families were extremely loving. Just like all families do, they came with their own set of discomforts and comforts. It was both heartwarming and heartbreaking to see their parents go through everything they go through. 

Hazel and Gus' friend from Cancer Support Group, Isaac was an inspiration. He was a supercool boy and I am at a loss for words to describe how adorable he was. 
I have a feeling that no matter how much I say about this book, it isn't going to be enough, which is why I will leave it to everyone to just read the book by themselves to really appreciate it (which most of the people have already done). 
I seriously have no clue how to praise this book, it was so so , oh my God, oh so good. 
This has been one of the prettiest books I've read. The writing is simple, the story believable and the characters truly mesmerising. 
The Fault In Our Stars is an unforgettable book that leaves it's footprint in your heart. The kind of book that makes you want to not make presumptions, but put yourself in somebody else's shoes before judging them or trying to figure out their lives. It is a bittersweet moving tale about surviving, living, making the most of life and leaving a mark. It is a pretty, very very pretty work of art. 
John Green and his novel. Are. Both. Simply. Outstanding.  

RATING:



13 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more my friend. I finished the book only few days ago and boy did I love it! I'm now a huge fan of John Green's books. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so cool. I'm happy to know loved this one too, Tanja. Now I'm going to read more of John Green's books! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing review! I read it recently too, and I can agree with all you've said. It's one of the most impressive book I've read in a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! It's so impressive and well written. I'm gald you loved it too. Thank you, Christina! :)

      Delete
  3. *hangs head in shame* I have never read a Green book, but Hannah and the others sound wonderful and your review makes me want to grab this. Thank you Sarika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you must read John Green soon, Kimba! :D

      Delete
  4. Aw, I'm not gonna hate you, Aman! Darn, you read the spoilers! Nonetheless, you can still give it a go because it really is worth the hype. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah, SERIOUSLY high praise!! Your enthusiasm for this book definitely shines through in your review, Sarika, and I love that! I wish I could say that I agreed with everything you said, but unfortunately, I haven't read this one yet. And ummm, I actually haven't read any John Green's book in fact (for shame!). I know, I know, I need to. You make this one sound SO good that I absolutely couldn't pass it by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's no shame at all but you must read this one, Aylee! Thank you so much! This is the only John Green book I've read and I'm glad you're now looking forward to reading his books. :)

      Delete
  6. I am seriously terrified of this book. Everyone I know loves it but it is so emotional...I am waiting until I am in a stable enough mood to dig into it. I don't often get overly emotional when I read but I know this one will do me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you can wait to read it, but do make sure you read it, alright Ali?! :)

      Delete
  7. I don't read that much YA fiction although some that I have read eg 'Holes' I enjoyed. This sounds like a challenging book in terms of subject matter and it's interesting that he has a background in dealing with sick children.

    regards,
    grace of San Pedro Self Storage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an absolutely interesting read, Grace! You must give it a try. You won't be disappointed. :)

      Delete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!