Thursday, April 17, 2014

Review- Out of the Shallows by Samantha Young

Summary-

LIVE YOUNG. LIVE HARD. LOVE DEEP.
Charley and Jake’s story concludes in Out of the Shallows…

Somehow, after everything they’ve been through, Jake Caplin and Charley Redford made their way back to one another. But finding each other and staying together are two completely different things. 

When Charley’s world is flipped upside down, she begins to question the choices and decisions she’s made since her arrival in Edinburgh, and in an effort to grip onto what she holds most dear she believes she must sacrifice her love for Jake. 

Returning to the States for her senior year, Charley struggles to find peace and happiness. While everyone else seems to be finding themselves in college, Charley is terrified that, along with almost everything else that’s important to her, she’s lost herself. 

While friends and family deal with their own tumultuous lives, there is one person resolved to uncover the reason behind Charley’s sudden defection and unhappiness. Refusing to give up without a fight, Jake believes he is the only one who can truly understand what Charley is going through, and this time he’s determined to prove he’s there for her no matter what obstacles are thrown in their way.

However, as Charley strives to make it through the biggest personal journey of her life thus far, there is no guarantee that the woman she is becoming will still need Jake as much as the girl she once was did...

Review-

I am a huge fan of Samantha Young and I had loved Into the Deep so I was pretty excited for Out of the Shallows. Though I liked Out of the Shallows I must say that I was disappointed with it. It doesn't even compare to the standards at which Samantha Young usually writes. I had quite a few problems with the book so it was an okay read for me.

Firstly, the book starts off a few months after the events of Into the Deep but then it goes back again. There was waaay too much back and forth with the past and present. It was only a few months in between so there were times I got confused at which part I was. The transitions was not smooth and it seemed very much broken.

I had loved Charley in the previous book but in this one I really disliked her. Her reasons for not trusting Jake completely were understandable but there is a limit to everything. She was really self involved in this book somehow. She thought the world revolved around her actions and that irritated me. One more thing, "pact with God"?! No, just no. If you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about.

I liked Jake in this book. He was really in love with Charley and he was willing to work for her trust but she just didn't seem to be giving him a chance. There were some steamy scenes in the book but it lacked the swoon factor. The only part of the book I thoroughly enjoyed was Claudia and Beck's story. I really wish they'd gotten a book all to themselves but I was really into their story. It had much more depth than Jake and Charley's story.

We also get to see all the side characters again. I have to say Lowe remains my favorite. That guy is something else and I really hope we get a book for him someday. Out of the Shallows thoroughly lacked any conflict, which made the book kinda unnecessary. Samantha Young is a fabulous author but this one was a miss for me.




1 comment:

  1. I hate when this happens - you wait for the book so long and then nothing. I hope you will enjoy your next book much more, Janhvi.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!