Thursday, October 23, 2014

Review- Forget You by Jennifer Echols

Summary-

Why can't you choose what you forget ... and what you remember?

There’s a lot Zoey would like to forget. Like how her father has knocked up his twenty-four-year old girlfriend. Like Zoey’s fear that the whole town will find out about her mom’s nervous breakdown. Like darkly handsome bad boy Doug taunting her at school. Feeling like her life is about to become a complete mess, Zoey fights back the only way she knows how, using her famous attention to detail to make sure she’s the perfect daughter, the perfect student, and the perfect girlfriend to ultra-popular football player Brandon.  But then Zoey is in a car crash, and the next day there’s one thing she can’t remember at all--the entire night before. Did she go parking with Brandon, like she planned? And if so, why does it seem like Brandon is avoiding her? And why is Doug--of all people-- suddenly acting as if something significant happened between the two of them? Zoey dimly remembers Doug pulling her from the wreck, but he keeps referring to what happened that night as if it was more, and it terrifies Zoey to admit how much is a blank to her. Controlled, meticulous Zoey is quickly losing her grip on the all-important details of her life--a life that seems strangely empty of Brandon, and strangely full of Doug.

Summary-

I have only read Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols and I had really enjoyed it at the time. So when I had nothing to read, I picked up Forget You. Forget You was a really good read, signature Jennifer Echols or at least what I've come to expect of her books but I do think I would have enjoyed it more if I would have read it say, a year or two back.

Zoey is our main character. Life, it seems is falling apart for her and she's trying her hardest to play the part of the perfect daughter. Zoey is the one I had some issues with. She wanted to be the good girl but then she went and did some of the most stupid things imaginable. Like Brandon. If only she could see things more clearly and see who really was on her side.

Then one night Zoey is in a car cash and she can't remember anything that happened. And things have suddenly changed for her. I do have to say that the whole mystery surrounding what really happened the night of the car crash kept me going throughout the book. I wanted to know badly why things were the way they were. 

Then there's Doug. He's the bad boy who has never liked Zoey, or so she thinks. Now he's suddenly always there for her. I really liked Doug though I would have liked him to be more expressive. He kept not only his feelings but also what happened that night from Zoey. But once we find out his reasons they seem more justifiable.

Jennifer Echols writing style is impeccable. I loved how realistically she portrays Zoey's thoughts and the pressure she has to face from her family and friends. I definitely want to read more books by Jennifer Echols. Forget You was a nice read for me.



1 comment:

  1. This was one of the first YA contemporary reads for me and I adored it, but as you said - my reading preferences are a bit different now (and we will ignore the fact that I am getting old), so I am not sure what I'd think about it now. Sometimes I wish to re-read some of my favorite reads, but I'm afraid that I'd end up disappointed.
    Great review, Janhvi.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!