Thursday, November 27, 2014

Review- Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Summary-

A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay.

When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance ofTwelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.
 

Review-

I had Just One Day sitting on my shelf for quite a few days. It was only until recently that I finally decided to pick it up. I had read a few mixed reviews about Just One Day which was what had made me a bit hesitant to pick it up in the first place. But my worries were for nothing. Just One Day was an amazing read with beautiful writing.

Allyson has been a good girl all her life. She does what is expected so that she can make her parents happy. Allyson is on a world tour right before she goes off to college, when she meets Willem at an underground performance of Twelfth Night. An impulsive decision takes her to Paris with Willem for Just One Day.

I really liked Allyson. She was a sweet girl who it seemed like had everything in life but was still missing something within her. She wanted to be brave and find passion and that is what I admired about her. When she meets Willem she feels an instant connection to him. He makes her question things and see things like never before.

I really loved the chemistry Willem and Allyson shared. Their conversations were so beautifully written. I have a whole bunch of quotes highlighted. But the entire book is not only about the one day the spend together. After parting ways unexpectedly Allyson heads back to college where she has to face her real life again. I liked seeing Allyson struggle and come in to her own in the second half of the book. She truly discovered herself.

I cannot praise Gayle Forman's writing enough. The way she strings together words is just perfect and many a times it seems like she's reading your mind and putting your thoughts exactly into words. The ending left a lot to be desired, still I was completely satisfied with it. I totally recommend Just One Day.


  

1 comment:

  1. Janhvi, I am so happy that you liked this book. I agree with everything - characters are great, especially Allyson, writing is beautiful and captivating and I think I gave it five stars just because of Shakespeare. :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!