Thursday, February 05, 2015

Review- The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Summary-

Adrift after her sister Bailey's sudden death, Lennie finds herself torn between quiet, seductive Toby—Bailey's boyfriend who shares her grief—and Joe, the new boy in town who bursts with life and musical genius. Each offers Lennie something she desperately needs... though she knows if the two of them collide her whole world will explode.

Join Lennie on this heartbreaking and hilarious journey of profound sorrow and mad love, as she makes colossal mistakes and colossal discoveries, as she traipses through band rooms and forest bedrooms and ultimately right into your heart.

As much a celebration of love as a poignant portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often uproarious, and absolutely unforgettable.

Review-

I have had The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson on my to be read pile for a looong time. Well, I finally decided to get to it and now I'm asking myself why didn't I read this book sooner? The Sky is Everywhere was an amazing read with memorable characters and beautiful writing. I absolutely loved it!

Lennie is our protagonist. She is sixteen and a band geek and a book lover. After the sudden death of her sister Bailey, Lennie just can't seem to find herself. I loved Lennie. Her feelings and thoughts were so true and so well expressed. She is in so much sorrow but she just can't show it. Her grief makes her feel alone and she doesn't know what to do with herself without her larger than life sister.

The only one who makes Lennie forget is Bailey's boyfriend Toby. It was easy to see the connection Lennie and Toby felt after Bailey's death. They had both lost a piece of themselves and the only way they seemed to feel Bailey with them was when they were together. Then there is the new boy Joe who is so full of life and musical genius and who makes Lennie feel so light.

I loved the way the love triangle was handled in The Sky is Everywhere. Usually I don't like love triangles but here the story was so much more than just some hormonal teenagers trying to get it on. Lennie's story was emotional and intense and empowering. It was about discovering yourself and living your life and loving freely.

I absolutely adored Jandy Nelson's writing. The poems which Lennie writes on any and every surface, on any and every piece of paper, where she really writes the truth, were beautiful. It may also be the fact that I read the paperback version of it and each poem was written how it would show on the actual surface. I loved these small details. Its simple, I LOVED The Sky is Everywhere!



1 comment:

  1. I have this one on my TBR and I also want to read it! I am glad to know you enjoyed reading this one so much. The prospect of a love triangle doesn't scare me away because if they are executed well, then I like them usually!

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!