Monday, October 31, 2016

Review- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe on Goodreads

Hi, everyone! As this book is LGBT, I'm putting it under The Literary Others: An LGBT Reading Event, hosted by the lovely Adam @ Roof Beam Reader


 BOOK SUMMARY:

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.


Release date: February 21st 2012
Published by: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers 
Page numbers: 359

REVIEW: 


I read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe as part of The Literary Others: An LGBT Reading Event 2016, hosted by Adam at Roof Beam Reader. I'm so glad I saved this book for last, because it ended up being an absolutely incredible read that I devoured thoroughly. In spite of me being in my twenties and Aristotle and Dante being teens, I could relate to them so well that they now seem more like my friends than characters in a book.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe goes from Aristotle's point of view and his voice was both deep and innocent at the same time. Author Benjamin Alire Saenz's writing is so unique, poetic and velvety in the sense that it was so smooth and simple. I adore short chapters and small sentences because I feel those are the most difficult to write and magical to experience and easy to understand, which is why I loved the writing in this one.

Aristotle was an adorable boy, who reminded me of myself far more than I care to admit. He just seemed so real and raw that I couldn't help but go back to myself a few years ago and remember feeling the same. He was confused, damaged, lost, angry, kind and decent, and these qualities are so real and they made me love him so much. When he meets Dante, his life is turned completely and it makes him more acceptable of himself.

Speaking of Dante, he seemed too unreal to be true, but he was such a unique and one in a million type of guy. Dante, unlike Aristotle, always seemed sure of himself, but deep down there, there lay a lovely boy who wanted nothing but happiness for himself and others and who kept trying. Dante is one of those characters that stay with you forever because of his individualism. Even though I loved Ari more, it was difficult not to appreciate, accept and adore Dante.

Overall, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe was an incredible read about two boys who could very well be you and I for they are so real and true. Not only did I love reading the book, but I also had a lovely experience doing it because it was truly unputdownable because of the catchy writing and capturing storytelling. An absolutely magical read, this book demands to be read for its way too adorable to be missed.


Buy the book: AMAZON/ FLIPKART

1 comment:


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!