Friday, September 08, 2017

Fave Five Friday- Fave Lines from Literature

Hi, everyone! I am so excited for this week's Fave Five Friday by BUZZ Magazine that I'm finding it hard to narrow down my list to five because the topic this week is super interesting. So without much ado, let's get to it. 



1) 


Aujourd'hui, maman est morte. Ou peut-être hier, je ne sais pas. J'ai reçu un télégramme de l'asile : "Mère décédée. Enterrement demain. Sentiments distingués." Cela ne veut rien dire. C'était peut-être hier. 

Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure. The telegram from the Home says: YOUR MOTHER PASSED AWAY. FUNERAL TOMORROW. DEEP SYMPATHY. Which leaves the matter doubtful; it could have been yesterday. 

From: L'Etranger/ The Stranger by Albert Camus

This is the opening line of the book and what a powerful way to start a novel! I have to admit, however, that I love the French lines WAY more than the English translation. 

2) 

 

Juger que la vie vaut ou ne vaut pas la peine d'être vécué c'est répondre à la question fondamentale de la philosophie. 

Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philisophy. 

From: Le Mythe de Sisyphe/ The Myth of Sisyphus by Alber Camus

What a coincidence! This happens to be the second line of the book, one which I find myself using very, very often. Camus is magical. 

3) 


It was a mark of the strength of their friendship that Ron did not laugh. 

From: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling 

If you're a Potterhead, you know exactly where this line is written and it tells so much about Ron that it literally brings tears to my eyes. 

4) 


We're all made of stars. We burn bright, then we flicker away. 

From: Made of Stars by Kelley York 

This line gets to me every time. It leaves me feeling both happy and sad and that's so special. 

5) 


We do not start as dust. We do not end as dust. We make more than dust.
That's all we ask of you. Make more than dust.

From: Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

I could basically type down this entire book because it's full of incredible writing and splendid thoughts. 

Which lines made it to your list? 






No comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!