Thursday, July 13, 2017

Review- Saving June by Hannah Harrington

 BOOK SUMMARY:

If she'd waited less than two weeks, she'd have been June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that. When sixteen-year-old Harper’s sister June, the perfect, popular, pretty one to Harper’s also-ran, commits suicide just before her high school graduation, nothing in Harper’s world makes sense anymore. With her family falling apart, Harper has a plan – steal June’s ashes and take her sister to the one place she always wanted to go: California. Embarking on a wild road trip of impromptu gigs and stolen kisses with mysterious musician Jake, the one person who could hold answers about June, Harper’s determined to find peace for her sister. But will she find peace for herself along the way? ‘fresh, fun and poignant’ - Kody Keplinger ‘tender, funny and moving’ - Courtney Summers ‘raw, powerful, and absolutely spot-on’ - YA Reads.com


Release date: June 1st 2012
Published by: Mira Ink
Page numbers: 336

REVIEW: 


I had been wanting to read Saving June since it was released a few years ago. But knowing me, I take all the time in the world to actually pick up a book and read it. When I released that I had covered up all the Young Adult reads on my shelf, I turned to Janhvi and asked her for a few recommendations when she reminded me that I wanted to read Saving June and she, very kindly, let me borrow her paperback.


Saving June is the story of Harper who loses her sister June because she commits suicide. Harper tries as much as she's able to, to figure out exactly what was wrong with her sister, but turns out, it is too late. So instead, she decides to do what her sister always dreamed of doing: going to California and embracing freedom. She then goes on a road trip from Michigan to California with her closest friend Laney and mysterious boy Jake. More than being a way to free June, the road trip ends up being necessary for Harper.

I love books about suicide, but I always have this one issue because I want a suicide to be justified in order for me to accept it. Now when it comes to Saving June, I have mixed feelings a about the suicide because we barely got a glimpse into June's life, let alone knowing her in and out. But on the other hand, the way she was portrayed and Harper's description of her sister did make some point which I could accept.

All that aside though, considering as this is Harper's story, Saving June was a very nicely written book which takes up an important issue in a very interesting and straightforward manner. Author Hannah Harrignton has written a lovely book that is a must read for fans of coming of age Young Adult reads, because this isn't a book you read, it's an experience you live.


Buy the book: AMAZON


No comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!