Thursday, August 03, 2017

Review- This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

 This Song Will Save Your Life on Goodreads

BOOK SUMMARY:

Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, This Song Will Save Your Life is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.


Release date: September17th 2013
Published by: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Page numbers: 276

REVIEW: 


No matter how many books I read and how much I love experimenting with new genres, I always find myself going back to Young Adult, which is my all time favourite. I just feel that the genre is very pure and raw making it extremely relatable and pleasing. So when I decided to pick up author Leila Sales' This Song Will Save Your Life, I knew I would have a great time reading it, and clearly, I wasn't wrong because this one ended up being just the book that I like to read.

This Song Will Save Your Life is the story of Elise Dembowski, who seems like a normal person on the outside, just like you and I. But only Elise really knows what's going on in her head and she has experienced firsthand how cruel and pathetic the world is even though she's only sixteen. One night, Elise stumbles upon something in a lonely and dark alleyway that turns her life upside down; for better or worse... Well, read the book to find out!

I really liked how Elise's character was portrayed. She did seem very mature for a sixteen year old, but there were many times when her thoughts mimicked mine and I couldn't help but completely agree with her. She was a smart and great person who deserved nothing but happiness. Throughout the book, I was rooting for her. She comes across a couple of people in her life, even though some of the characters were lovely, most of them got on my nerves for the way they were, but Elise's family and friends made for very likeable and pleasant characters.

This was a a very nice coming of age story, but it's also very dark and deep which is why the label of it being for older readers is perfect. Every fan of Young Adult reads will really like this book and will take something back from it. It definitely is like any other YA contemporary, but it is also very unique at the same time because of the way it takes up important issues and shows that no matter what, we win in the end, in our own way.


Buy the book: AMAZON


No comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!