Thursday, October 26, 2017

Review- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl on Goodreads

 BOOK SUMMARY:

From the author of the New York Times bestseller Eleanor & ParkA coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love. 

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving. Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
 


Release date: September 10th 2013
Published by: St. Martin's Press
Page numbers: 481

REVIEW: 


Since the past few years, most of my Potterhead friends who read author Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl have raved about it so much saying that they could relate to it easily and that it is a must read for Harry Potter fans. When I finally decided to pick up and read the book, I didn't have many expectations because very popular Young Adult books and I haven't gotten along quite well in the past. But now, I feel so proud to say that all my friends have been right all along. But really, there's no surprises there! Fangirl was one of the most comforting, gratifying and loveable YA book I've read in a long, long time.

To begin with, this book is basically an in-depth description of what my own teenage years looked like when all I cared about and all that mattered in life was Harry Potter. There really wasn't much else that helped me get through those adorable yet gruesome years, other than the fact that there was a Potter book or a Potter movie or Potter something to look forward to. Now in Fangirl, there is no direct reference to Harry Potter as such, but hey Rainbow Rowell, we all get the subtle Drarry hints, which was so cool because I ship that so bad.

I feel like this review is going to more about Harry Potter than Fangirl, so let's talk about the latter. The fangirl in this book- Cath- was such a relatable character. Honestly, I have never felt more close to and loved any other YA female character so much. Cath basically breathes Simon Snow, and she writes fanfic about the same. I personally never wrote fanfic, but I've had my fair share of it that I still go back to. I honestly really liked Cath'a character because she didn't have everything sorted out; she just went with the flow and figured stuff out.

Other than Cath, however, we have her twin sister Wren, her roommate Reagan, her writing partner Nick, her friend Levi, her professor Piper and her dad, who all came together to make this book fun and deep at the same time. Every character was well developed and portrayed in a very raw and excellent manner that made their individual contribution very important for the story to go ahead and also for Cath to emerge as someone better than what she started out with. Even thought this book was super long, which usually is the biggest turn-off for me, I still loved it so much that every time I stopped, I wanted to know more and even when the book finally ended, I wish it hadn't because I wasn't reason to let go.

Overall, I will say what everyone else has already said. Read this book if you belong to a fandom- any fandom really- and by belong, I mean if you are truly and entirely dedicated to it. If your fandom of choice basically defined your entire young adult life, please, please read this book because it will help you realise that you are not alone. We're all in this together and we are magic. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Rainbow Rowell!

 

Buy the book: AMAZON



2 comments:

  1. I have heard great things about this book. A lot of people are just loving this book. Yesterday I saw a copy of it in the library, but I passed it. Why did I did that? Going back next week.

    ReplyDelete


Thank you for stopping by and for taking the time out to share your thoughts with us. We really appreciate it!